Monday 4 July 2011

Rwanda Journal, Entry 47: Liberation Day

In Rwanda, the fourth of July marks the day the RPF took control of the country and ended the genocide.

For obvious reasons it's seen as a fairly important date in the Rwandan calendar. The shops are mostly closed as Rwandans head to ceremonies and events for much of the day.

I'm planning to head to Amahoro Stadium some time today to listen to Paul Kagame speak.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I've missed his speech, even so I'd like to check out the city.

I'll likely post more later today or tomorrow, but in the meantime I'll just try to observe. More later.

1 comment:

  1. RPF took control...and ended the genocide? Not quite how I remember it...but I guess I could be wrong.
    How was PK's speech? Better question, was there a decent interpreter available? I've heard him speak English and still I needed a translator;)
    Almost time to rotate home eh? Excited?
    Take care my friend.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete