Monday 11 July 2011

Rwanda Journal, Entry 49: Welcome to Amsterdam

I've landed in Amsterdam after a nine-hour flight from Kigali. It would have been shorter but for the hour the plane spent in Entebbe fixing a refueling problem. I'm not really sure whether I should consider that a visit to Uganda or not.

I was worried that after leaving Africa I'd be jaded and angry with the developed world. I came to Amsterdam hoping it would ease the blow and help me appreciate the West's potential. It has.

I am not angry with the world but excited by this city. I admire the character of it's people; friendly, warm and graciously concerned.
 
The city is a marvel of canals, bike paths and parks. There is such abundance and beauty in all directions that I am overwhelmed.

Holland has created what Rwanda aspires to, a peaceful, orderly and prosperous society.

I will spend the night at a youth hostel called StayOkay, I have friends here that I hope to meet this evening.

In the meantime, I am going to go get lost for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment