Friday 20 May 2011

Rwanda Journal, Entry 33: Rain on the Hills

It is pouring rain and a dense fog has settled over the hills outside the balcony of the project compound. In about 30 minutes I am heading to my first reporting assignment for Kigali Unplugged.

I'll be covering the 3rd Annual Salax Awards, a celebration of Rwandan music, similar to the Grammys.

It is the first time the awards have been held in Kigali and while the events are well known in the country I'm a bit concerned the rain will drive down attendance.

Even so, it is exactly the type of event that Kigali Unplugged needs to be reporting on. It's a golden opportunity to hand out slightly soggy copies of the magazine and make contacts with industry insiders.

The decision to attend the event came after a morning discussing marketing strategies with Douglas and Benjamin. Before long we all arrived at the conclusion that a budding entertainment magazine could not really miss the largest music award ceremony in the country, regardless of the weather.

Apparently, the magazine doesn't have press credentials and we'll probably have to pay the 2000 Rwandan franc admittance fee out of pocket, just the cost of doing business I guess.

On the plus side, I do have a rain jacket, which probably won't do much to keep the rain off my pants on the mototaxi to Gikondo but it's better than nothing.

Anyway, it's time to go. With any luck I'll get a decent story despite the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment