Monday 23 May 2011

Rwanda Journal, Entry 35: The First Real Week

Today marks the first day of my first real week at Kigali Unplugged.

Before it was introductions and pleasantries, now it's time to get behind the mule.

As I've said, I'm convinced the magazine has potential. It is free in a market where most publications cost more than many Rwandans can easily afford.

This creates a challenge however, in that we are dependent on advertisers in a market where the majority of marketing directors prefer billboards to paper. 

Despite this, we only need to convince a few people per month and tend our existing relationships to remain viable.

From that point, if we continue to refine the content to attract readers, boost our web presence for exposure and brand development, and generally keep the ship from keeling over, we will continue to grow. 

I'm a little intimidated but only because this is a new challenge in a place I am unfamiliar with.  Even so, I have a couple ideas that I will pitch to Douglas and the others tomorrow.
 
I'm hope they'll be well received.

No comments:

Post a Comment