Monday 30 May 2011

Rwanda Journal, Entry 38: Rwanda's Favourite Sport

I learned on Saturday night that Rwanda is a football (soccer) crazed nation and would give even the most dedicated European fans a run for their money.

There is one team in particular that Rwandans love above all others and I was surprised to learn which one it is.

Nearly every person in Kigali files into sports bars, friends houses and anywhere else with television whenever FC Barcelona lines up on the pitch.

The Spanish football club is a phenomenon and when they squared off against Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League final on Saturday,  no event was more watched.

An hour or so before the match, I was walking through the Union Trade Centre, Rwanda's largest mall, and noticed a crowd of at least 300 people gathered in the main lobby staring up at television screens. 

When FC Barcelona finally emerged as league champions, after 93 minutes of intense play, the city exploded into celebration.

From where I stood in Kimihurura, I heard the old football anthem "ole, ole, ole, ole,"drift in from the valley below; car horns sounded and people swung jerseys as walked home. It was an extraordinary scene to behold.

For my own part, I watched the game with the Rwanda Initiative's night guard, Heritier, who graciously asked if he could watch the game with me on television.

The usually soft-spoken African went wild anytime his team scored and I couldn't help but become a dedicated partisan too.

Despite having only a fleeting knowledge of international football, I'll make a point to pay closer attention to it while I'm here.

For the first time in it's history, Rwanda's under-17 team, known locally as Amavubi (Junior Wasps)  are competing in the U17 World Cup.

The event is taking place next month in Mexico and it'd be worthwhile to see how Rwandans react.

No comments:

Post a Comment